C&C GAMES  

Sampak_legacy

• Sampak

Private

TFD 1.03 rev4 unofficial patch and ZERO HOUR + Win7 Ultimate 64-bit - issues

26 July 2011 - 09:45 PM

Ok I have the same kind of issue everyone else seems to be having with Zero Hour running after an install. I should point out, that I BELIEVE I originally installed the Generals and Zero Hour game from the original 2 CD version (non Decade Pack) last year. I have been running it with the official 1.04 patch this way and playing on the LAN with my buddies who run the Decade pack version + unofficial 1.03 rev4 patch. I ran into this installation/running problem last night. when in order to stay as compatible with my friends on the LAN games and avoid stupid MISMATCH errors, I decided to install the game again from the Decade Pack DVD I bought. I first Uninstalled both games and even tried deleting their data folders in My Documents, and registry entries that I could find ("zero hour" and Electronic Arts entries that looked safe to delete). I also restarted later on several times during my attempts. I ran the "SETUP.EXE" file using Admin mode from the DVD, and also running the Zero Hour game directly, and also tried TFD launcher in admin mode + Win XP SP3 compatability mode (which has been working fine all this time with previous Gen/ZH CD install). Upon first start up, where there is no Options.INI file in the data folder, it will crash with that "Serious Error" message box and quit. I somehow managed to get that to work by using a working Options.INI file. This is just the fresh install of Zero hour from TFD dvd, running version 1.04 as it comes, no additional patching. OK this is fine so far...after 2 hours of trying. Then after I install the 1.03 rev. 4 unofficial patch, the game will start asking me to "Please insert first game CD." The TFD DVD is already in the same drive the entire time. No I do not have any other dvd drives or virtual drives either (I disabled them all to be sure, restarted etc etc). Funny thing is this TFD all-games encompassing 103 patch is supposed to remove the DVD/CD check requirement so you can run it without the DVD. Instead it's working quite backward for me. I already read about rights/permission management and changing owner and all that crap for the ZH and Generals install folders, and data folders in the My Documents directory. Didn't do anything it seems. Im am perplexed as to why the game will work fine but once I install the unofficial 103 patch, like my brother, and other friends running Windows 7 64 bit, mine goes bonkers. I suspect it may be due to my computer having been using the CD version previously and somehow it got screwed up in the registry after uninstall? Plus add Win7 64 into the mix?
  •  Flag

Nyerguds

• Nyerguds

Captain

31 July 2011 - 10:10 AM

Well... you could always just install it from the original CDs, if that works better :-\
  •  Flag

phoenixcrap_legacy

• phoenixcrap

Lieutenant

31 July 2011 - 11:02 AM

does internet work in original nyerguds? i think everyone believes it has to be patched to play online or something
  •  Flag

Nyerguds

• Nyerguds

Captain

31 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

Generals? Sure, should work. I think you just need a gamespy account and it works. Never played it online though. The TFD box does say online play is "not supported", but that just means they don't offer tech support for it since it's mostly in the hands of the community now (for the pre-generals games anyway).
  •  Flag

Sampak_legacy

• Sampak

Private

31 July 2011 - 09:31 PM

Thanks for the replies, but that doesn't help much hehe. I'm not playing online, I'm playing in "network" LAN mode, using hamachi wtih my friends, to keep everything simple. The issue isn't that, it is the patching and actually getting the game to run. So far I've been "OK" going back to the original individual CD version of the Zero Hour, after uninstalling the the TFD pack version of the games. I just can't apply the 103 rev4 unofficial TFD patch of course, but it seems like the game works fine with my friends' TFD version so I am leaving it at that. I have already gone through during my previous attempts to get the TFD version to work correctly by deleting any mentions of CnC and Zero Hour and believe I did so completely, unless EA games has some dastardly sneaky registry entries that I couldn't find... Anyway, open to more suggestions. Short of dual booting XP. ;)
  •  Flag

CommanderJustice_legacy

• CommanderJustice

Private

30 September 2011 - 05:26 PM

:) solved myself today by downloading Microsoft DirectX SDK (March 2008), see other replys bud hope helps
  •  Flag

Reply to this topic