C&C GAMES  

zuluman_legacy

• zuluman

Private

Unit Portrait

05 May 2012 - 02:45 AM

Maybe instead of always showing a picture of the unit that you have currently selected, there should be an option to switch to a first person camera. I`m not saying that the entire screen should go into first person, but just that one spot (usually in the bottom right hand corner) would switch to a first-person view of the unit. maybe there could be an option that would let the view point switch back and forth on command, possibly ctrl-v ?
  •  Flag

kl4ndri

• kl4ndri

Lieutenant Colonel

• LocationIceland, Blue Zone B15

05 May 2012 - 02:47 AM

Why? It just clutters your screen and a 1st person view is confusing as you have no idea what unit type it is. That's what the picture is for, identifying the unit.
  •  Flag

CommanderRealWar

• CommanderRealWar

Major

05 May 2012 - 03:44 AM

Why? It just clutters your screen and a 1st person view is confusing as you have no idea what unit type it is. That's what the picture is for, identifying the unit.

I think he means like SC2's animated unit portraits, but I could be wrong.
  •  Flag

kl4ndri

• kl4ndri

Lieutenant Colonel

• LocationIceland, Blue Zone B15

05 May 2012 - 05:04 PM

I think he means like SC2's animated unit portraits, but I could be wrong.

If it's a third person view then I don't hate the idea but I'd rather keep the static pictures.
  •  Flag

MV195

• MV195

Brigadier General

05 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

If it's a third person view then I don't hate the idea but I'd rather keep the static pictures.

indeed, better if we don't rip off from other games.
  •  Flag

Zardac_the_Great

• Zardac_the_Great

Master Sergeant

05 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

I actually miss the retro-C&C unit portraits that look like someone took a snapshot of your unit. I think I understand why they don't do that anymore, but I still like it better.
  •  Flag

zuluman_legacy

• zuluman

Private

06 May 2012 - 03:25 AM

I`m not saying that we have to get rid of the portrait, im just saying that maybe you could switch back and forth with the press of a button.
  •  Flag

babebudy

• babebudy

Master Sergeant

08 May 2012 - 09:07 AM

RA2 did it best.
  •  Flag

stormgear

• stormgear

Major

08 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

I`m not saying that we have to get rid of the portrait, im just saying that maybe you could switch back and forth with the press of a button.

Sounds good, and that will help in case you don't want the animated version to add more burden to the pc.

I otoh would want an exact view of the unit from the "satellite view" in the unit portrait. The portrait might even show any other stuff going around near the unit selected like debris flying, fellow/enemy units passing by etc.
  •  Flag

Karias_legacy

• Karias

Private

09 May 2012 - 08:34 AM

I think what's awesome would be that they add in unit portraits of real-time gameplay. Meaning it's basically a first person camera right in front of your units, showing his face and his current action. Any other unit standing behind him can also be seen through the unit portrait. For example, when the unit (let's just say the GLA rebel) if firing at an enemy tank. he unit portrait will show him maybe gritting his teeth as he shoots, as well as showing his gun firing in the unit portrait. This way, it could be a dynamic unit portrait apart from Blizzard's classic unit portraits.
  •  Flag

Reply to this topic