Since the moderator didn't mention or refer my name in a sticky thread for this, the original user is responsible for updates with the C&C3 Mod SDK and WB FAQ, which is still me. Due to those changes, this FAQ thread has been updated with grammar corrections, some new updates, and updated links. I may request for this thread to be stickied and replaced with this updated one.
On behalf of EA_Mastermind in the old CNC forums, this is what he posted (some are modified as updates):
If this is your first time modding for C&C 3, please download version 5.0 at the link below. If you downloaded version 4.0, be sure to update to version 5.0 below and take note of the critical fix. If you have not updated your MOD SDK since version 1.0, download and install the latest version below so all your files are completely up to date!
Windows 7 and Vista users - In order to install the new MOD SDK version correctly, please remove the old version first by using the add/remove function from the Control Panel. Once you have completely removed the MOD SDK, please proceed to install the new version. This will ensure you install correctly on Windows 7 or Vista.
Download version 5 of the MOD SDK Here:
One of the main CNC3 mod sdk's required application is MS DotNet Framework 2.0:
or the updated version SP1:
Another one of the main CNC3 mod sdk's required application is Visual Studio C++ Runtime:
There is only one major new feature and that is a fix to the Civilian Asset issue. This fixes up references to assets that are only located in our World Builder stream. This issue prevented modders from being able to use these assets in their own maps. You can now use these assets in your own maps after they are compiled using the new "BuildModCivAsset.bat" program included in the new version of the MOD SDK. You can also modify existing civilian assets or use the existing art assets to create new things for your mod. None of this was possible before.
How To Use BuildModCivAsset.bat
BuildModCivAsset is used in the same way as Buildmod.bat, it takes the name of the mod to build as an argument. It should only be used to build mods that depend on assets that are in the worldbuilder stream. These assets are referenced from the worldbuilder.xml file in the cnc3xml folder. If you are creating civilian assets which use the art from existing civilian assets, you will need to use BuildModCivAsset rather than the normal BuildMod.
Please be advised: You must have Patch 1.09 installed in order for the MOD SDK v5.0 to function correctly. You also must download the newest version of World Builder labeled below as well if you have not already. Version 5.0 contains all changes in versions 1-4, and is the most current version of the SDK for C&C 3 Tiberium Wars.
Updated Feb. 10, 2012:
1. Modding resources are still available in these two sites:
http://cncmods.net/downloads.php and http://thundermods.net/index.php?page=downloads
2. As an optional request, I had compiled an all-in-one mod sdk pack containing the following:
1. MOD SDK Required Applications (contains Mvp.Xml.dll, antlr.runtime.dll, antlr.astframe.dll and C++ Runtime):
2. JonWil's Tools, BinOpener, W3DMtoASE, and EA Graph combo.
3. BinOpener - it opens'manifest' files equipped with 'bin' files. EA Graph opens some graphic files. W3DMtoASE converts w3dm files into ase files that can be opened with 3DsMax. The description of JonWil's tools is shown here: http://cnc3.net/item-172?addview
4. CNC3 string file - used for other purposes when making a mod
5. If you are not satisfied with EA's buildmod.bat file, you can try these alternative build mod files all in one pack:
a) Codecat's modified buildmod.bat - old version works for C&C3 1.07, new version works for C&C3 1.08 and above
b) Killer's ModBuilder Executable - works for C&C3 1.08 and above; Description link:
c) Manifest Fix/Mod Crash Fix for the buildmod.bat. Description link:
d) Advanced modified buildmod.bat - works for C&C3 1.09
Note that all four are in this pack, and they are in separate folders by their names when you extract them. The files must be placed in the MOD SDK folder and replacing the buildmod.bat and run.bat can be necessary. If there are extra folders within the MOD SDK folder, use them as spare backups.
Download the all-in-one optional mod sdk pack: link deleted for now
3. Complete dummy art files with extra C&C3 mod sdk files: http://bibber.bplaced.net/index.php?...=download&id=3
4. Source Code for the C&C3 shaders: http://www.cncmods.net/files/shaders.zip
5. English FMV subtitles for C&C3
C&C3/KW movie subtitles: links gone for now
Directions: Now, go to your C&C3 or KW installation directory, then the Lang-English folder. Inside, there should be further folders named after patch numbers. Open the newest one, and extract the downloaded file there. In the same folder, you should find a config.txt file. Open it via notepad, and add this line at the end:Save the file, and you're ready to go. Run TW or KW and enjoy the FMVs with English subtitles!add-big subtitles.big
6. The versions of OS Big Editor and FinalBIG
OS Big Editor 0.5: http://www.ppmsite.com/index.php?go=osbigeditorinfo
OS Big Editor 0.58: http://www.petrolution.net/item-210?addview
FinalBIG Editor 0.4 - Description and download link: http://www.wagnerma.de/yinger/showdownload.php?detail=1
FinalBIG can open some C&C3/KW BIG files but it's not compatible for RA3 and C&C4.
7. KW Shell Textures (contains all CNC3/KW portrait icons and target icons): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YEEOK4IE
8. C&C3 Art Packs
C&C3 Art Packs 1 and 2 compressed all-in-one: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20051...Packs1%262.rar
Art Pack 1
Mirror 1: http://thundermods.net/index.php?pag...ion=view&id=63
Mirror 2: http://files.ea.com/downloads/eagame..._SampleArt.zip
Art Pack 2
Mirror 1: http://thundermods.net/index.php?pag...ion=view&id=64
Mirror 2: http://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/mis...3ArtPack_2.zip
9. KW art and sound packs
Art Pack (last recent one): http://www.gamefront.com/files/20837678/KW+Art+Pack.rar
Sound Pack (last recent one): http://www.gamefront.com/files/20034...Sound_Pack_rar
10. C&C4 Art Pack: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20854...4+Art+Pack.rar
11. This is for mappers and modders who are interested to make maps with other terrain textures outside of C&C3/KW. This comes with all the terrain textures from C&C Generals all the way to C&C4.: http://www.gamefront.com/files/21315...inTextures.rar
12. WrathEd (the unofficial KW mod sdk by Lauren and the team)
Comes with a samplemod containing the unit source code of the RA3 Mirage Tank (re-modified by Bibber) Note that the mod launcher and other materials have not been implemented yet.
Note: The 7z files can be opened with WinRAR, 7-Zip or PowerArchiver.
Credits and thanks to the people of the modding community:
-- EA_Mastermind for the Mod SDK release information.
-- EALA for releasing the mod sdk, art packs and textures.
-- Bibber for the C&C3 extra mod sdk tools and files.
-- Jonwil for the C&C3/KW/RA3 tools and dummy art files.
-- Kodaemon for the C&C3 and KW subtitles.
-- DavoPlayer for the C&C4 terrain textures.
-- The users from Revora and Fallout Studios for the buildmod.bat modifications.
-- The rest of the CNC community for making various tools and arts relative to C&C3/KW/RA3.