Support of «Left Click for Orders» mouse scheme
Classic C&C games used Left click for orders like Move, Attack, Harvest, etc. C&C Generals had some support too.
With later games it wasn't working good, mostly because stuff was selected if it can't be attacked/garrisoned/etc.
How it should work:
- When you got your units selected:
- Ignore selection of friendly, neutral and enemy units. Only units that belong to You can be selected. If you can't attack/garrison/capture friendly/enemy/neutral units, then clicking on them moves your units to the last known position of that unit.
- If Multiple Units selection line (aka Press LMB and move the cursor) don't have your units inside, it should be threated as order at current cursor position.
- Left Click at Radar issues orders to that spot, no selection at all! Right click moves camera there.
- When you got friendly/neutral/enemy, or no units selected:
- Left Click Selects Friendly/Neutral/Enemy units.
- Left Clicking at empty area doesn't deselect friendly/enemy/neutral units, if they were selected.
- Left and Right Clicks at Radar moves camera there
This should make «Left Click for Orders» mouse scheme useful, and even popular, instead of annoying.
Do i really need to write negative effects of optional mouse scheme?