Okay, this is an idea that just occured to me at some point and I found it so neat that I'd like to share it.
So, why not? Considering how the story ended in Generals (With crippled US retreating back to America and Europe going into alliance with China), it may be quite probable.
America may feel angsty for what happened in Generals 1. Their forces driven out from the world, most notably the Middle East, they no longer have profit and influence they used to have. Their place as the international peacekeeper (and main player) is taken over by the new Europe-China alliance This may also lead to an economical crisis in the States.
In short, we have all the story backing we need to make nationalist moods rise all over the US with a strong need of retribution and the will of regaining lost superpower-level influence. So it's entirely plausible a new government which was chosen will, if not be slightly fascist in overtones, then at least willing to restore the lost US power.
Fast forward 203x, the peace conference is on in order to restore peace on the world, and end the last pending conflict (China with Russia, say. We will need China really busy in order to not help Europe from the beginning).
Then terrorists attack the conference and kill almost everybody. Naturaly, the responsible will be searched for, and the two main condemned can be America (not happy with the power placement in the proposed peace treathy) and Russia (As proposed by China, since China, using it's influence, can condemn Russia reponsible and have a reason to start a war which they wanted).
Naturaly, the first act of the campaign will be hunting for the GLA terrorists responsible, and conflict on the Middle East, since GLA will try to push European forces out of Middle East. However, when they will start to loose, US will launch an offensive at Europe in order to cripple it's military power, while another US expeditionary force tries to regain control over Middle East.
This results in an all-out World War III, between the US (Sometimes, in Middle East, backed by some local governments preffering them to the Europeans), Europe (Which both struggles to control Middle East and defend itself) and GLA (Which may try to drive both US and EU from their homelands and uses the conflict to cripple those superpowers. Sometimes they may ally with one of the sides when they find it's victory a favorable outcome), with the Russia-China conflict in the background.
More of it, there may (or should, for storytelling reasons) be an "opposing force" within US, not happy with the nationalist pro-war government and trying to overthrow it. Those characters could be the main heroes of the US portions of the campaign - First fighting in Europe, then getting under influence of an anti-war political figure, being moved across all the globe searching for intelligence needed to end the war, all the time while being hunted by the nationalist US forces and shoot at by both EU and GLA.
Now, the main question, how to make a difference between EU and US. Influenced by another thread about the US faction, here are my ideas:
- Steamroller/turtle defence army, created mostly for protecting the homeland.
- Light forces utilise fast moving tank hunter vehicles and humvees backed by VTOLs, and the main forces being heavy Merkava II tanks (the ones we seen in the screenshots so far) with APC abilities. They would have the best armor and line forces in the game.
- Best defences and great artillery.
- Advanced warfare with the use of drones. They dominate the air and support infantry.
- Best infantry in the game, being supported by multi-role Stryker vehicles.
- Good air support with F-22s, F-35s, AugustaWestland AW609 gunships and V-22 Osprey transports.
- Sub-par armor compared to European forces, Crusaders get blown off easily by Merkavas; Comparable tanks are Paladins but those are fielded only in limited numbers due to technological advancement and cost of the tank.
This is a rough idea, and the army concepts need reworking, but the general idea is presented above.
What do ya think?